Monday, April 20, 2015

Sealing the hull


 I had a few hours on Sunday afternoon to get the sealant down on the hull before replacing the foam begins. The hull is dry but I figured it wouldn't hurt to seal the rivets and seams anyway. As time goes on, they may not stay as tight and I may be thankful for doing this step years from now. 

The stuff I found though the iBoats forum suggested that I use the stuff pictured below called Gluvit. It's about $50 for a quart so I figured it had better be good stuff. It's not exactly available at your local home improvement store and had to buy it online.



 The guys on the iBoats forum recommened to use the "roll and tip" method. Basically rolling it on with a small foam paint roller and then using a foam brush to work the sealant into the cracks.



They said it will be dry within 24 hours and fully cured within a week. It may take longer with the weather being erratic - but a dry garage will be the most help for it to cure. 



Once this is fully cured, the inevitable debate on using "2 in 1 expanding foam" or just buying foam and cutting it to fit. I've been debating it for weeks and can be convinced one over the other is best one day and completely change my mind the next.

That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment