Monday, March 16, 2015

Getting Started

Here we go....

I have kept this boat in my garage each of the past 5 summers and have told my self each year that I would take on this project. Each year, I would find other things to do and would never get it started. This is the year and the day after we brought it back from storage, I dived in!

Here are the  "before" pictures:




I started off with the front and worked my way to the back to get the rod storage bench and live well & minnow well benches off. I will plan to keep all of the old pieces to use as a template for building the new floor and sides.


As you can see, the electrical system is not exactly the "safest". It will need some care as we begin to rebuild it.

As I started to pull up sections of the floor, I was curious to see if I would find anything interesting. In the back section, an old Quaker State oil bottle was found. It could have been there anywhere form 10-25 years.

Thankfully, each piece came up relatively easy with the exception of a few stripped screws that I had to drill out. I was really happy to see the "stringers" or steel frame that holds the floor was in good shape and I can simply reattach the new floor to it once we are able to replace the foam and seal the hull.

In addition to an oil bottle, I did find an adjustable wrench. Not sure how it could have slipped under, but it did. Again, it could have been there up to 25 years or so.


Well, here it is... all stripped apart. 


As you can see, the foam is waterlogged and worn and will have to come out - but not today.


As I was taking the boat apart, I saved all of the screws and labeled them for each section they were removed from. Most are in good shape and if you have ever purchased stainless steel screws, you know these are valuable.


I was wondering if I would find anything of my Grandpa's during this project. I did find this!



Well, that's it for now. Next, I'm going to take the foam out, pressure wash the aluminum, and drop it in the water to see if the hull is completely dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment