Sunday, March 15, 2015

The History

In the Summer of 1989, my Grandpa Melvold brought home a brand new fishing boat.  I was 5 at the time and was excited because it opened up an opportunity to get out on the Mississippi River and lakes across the area. He named the boat "Emily Frances" after my cousin, Emily, who is the first female grandchild in the family.


Most of my memories on this boat reside in Northern Wisconsin. Each August, we would go up for a week and rent a cabin. In the Summer of 1991, I had just turned 7 years old and had decided that I wanted to try water skiing. My uncles were big into it which gave me the drive to learn. My dad bought a starter set of Mickey Mouse wood skis tied together. It was decided that my first try would be behind the Emily Frances. To my (and probably everyone else's) surprise, I got up on the very first try and was hooked from that day on.
                     
As the years went by, I spent more time in my Uncle John and my Dad's boats. At the time, if you would ask me if I would rather go fishing or water skiing, I would respond with water skiing 10 times out of 10. Although, during the summer after I had graduated from high school, I regained my interest in fishing - along with a few buddies of mine. We would get up just after dawn and take the boat out on the Mississippi a few days a week. Occasionally, I would go out with my grandpa as well.

As my grandpa's health began to decline, he called me into his office one day to tell me that he has decided to give me the boat. I was shocked and honored at the same time and couldn't believe that I would be able to have this boat as "my own". I promised myself to take care of the boat and keep it in the family for as long as possible.

Going fishing with my Uncle Gil

Now that it has been almost 10 years since he has passed, I have decided to "finally" bring it back to life. The sun, water, and usual wear and tear has taken its toll and the boat needs a new floor. I plan to keep the configuration the same - with a few upgrades: extend the bench to keep two gas tanks and two batteries in it, change the fishing rod enclosed bench to allow for more rod storage,  add dry storage for various small items, and finally add a radio to listen to White Sox games on the water. Sorry Grandpa - I know that you wouldn't approve of the last one. We can't all like the Cubs. :)

Anyway, I'm not even close to being a "handy" person but will give this project a shot and update you all - along the way. Let's hope I can finish this over the summer and still keep all of my fingers.







No comments:

Post a Comment